1. Lie to my family about whether or not he was working.
2. Buy my gifts on a college book voucher.
3. Be snowed in with a man I hate.
4. Buy gifts for a man I hate.
5. Accept a gift while wondering if it was stolen.
6. Use my Christmas money to keep from getting evicted.
7. Lock myself in the bedroom with piles of fiction to escape my life.
8. Lock myself in the bedroom with bottles of liquor to escape my life.
9. Return my gifts so I can buy food.
10. Borrow money from my grandpa to pay my bills until I get my financial aid.
11. Throw out all of his belongings.
12. Convince my friends that the divorce isn’t breaking me.
It’s the little things that remind you how far you’ve come.